Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Oh for the love of gawd.

The government recently increased the petrol price by 10% and diesel 20%. This is the second raise in a year. Along with it, goes the classical CDs as well. I've lost my words to described when normal CDs from RM 34.90 have increased by RM 10.00 margin. Even worse are some single CDs selling at RM 64.90 when I think you can sell it at RM 49.00 or more or less.

Tower Records had been the only company to sell classical CDs in wide variety here in Malaysia. At other shops like Salem, MVM, Popular, etc they sell only typical "Mozart for babies" or mainstream crap designed for newbies who got weaned into pop music. Therefore I always shop at Suria KLCC branch at Tower Records.

It's a shame the idiots who authorised Brilliant Classics CDs here inflate their prices to madness. I've seen a Sviatoslav Richter single CD sold at 100 ringgit plus. The acclaimed Barshai-Mahler 2-CD set is sold at RM 119.90. compared with U$ 11 dollars plus I spotted at Amazon.com. I know Tower is not to be blamed (well, still partially. They sell CDs a few ringgit more than their other counterparts)...well now you get it why middlemen are the greatest conmen of all time.

Oh btw, FUCK YOU Tower. You sold a Brahms single CD of symphonies no 3 & 4 with Karl Bohm conducting Vienna Philharmonic at RM 54.90. It's under Eloquence series, which is even more absurd since each CD costs around RM 24.90. Hey wait, since it's VIENNA PHILHARMONIC why don't we double the price? I pity teh sucker who bought those recordings.

Now EMI's greatest recordings of the century CDs are sold at RM 44.90. Bleh, now I have to blled 10 bucks more to acquire the Dennis Brain Mozart Concerto. The RCA Red Seal series used to have similar price range with EMI GRoTC CDs. Now I see a Gunther Wand conducting Bruckner 9th with Berliner Philharmoniker sold at RM 49.90. Wait there is SO many Gunther Wand Bruckner to an extent there are 3-4 recordings for each symphony, frankly I don't give a damn.

(Update: The DG "Originals" CDs are priced at RM 39.90 while 2CDs at RM 79.90. )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home